Herbs & Supplements Found in Biofilm Protocols
Click on the Biofilm Products category to order items to degrade and handle biofilms. Click on the Subcategories listed above - especially "How to Take Biofilm Items."
1. Systemic (proteolytic and mucolytic) enzymes (degrade sugars, proteins, and mucus-like slime in biofilm). Besides being listed in the protocol charts, more of these enzymes are found in the "Products to Degrade Biofilms" or the "Proteolytic Enzymes" categories. Systemic enzymes enter the circulatory systems and GI tract. One of the best systemic enzyme products is Neprinol - it has an acid armor capsule, which means the enzyme deposits in the small intestine instead of the stomach, making it very effective.
2. Fulvic acid (addresses minerals and metals in biofilm). We like Supreme Fulvic (link found on the Home Page.)
3. Disodium EDTA (chelates minerals in biofilm and calcium shells from nanoparticles). Found in Interfase Plus.
4. Lactoferrin (binds to iron, depriving biofilm matrix of this essential mineral). Lactoferrin is often used in biofilm protocols without Lyme Disease (see note below)* present. Use 100% Lactoferrin (meaning the single supplement). Practitioners suggest buying the 250 mg. capsules, using brands like Symbiotics, Jarrow, or another single high quality lactoferrin supplement.)
START THE DOSE AT 125 MG OR LESS, as severe Herx. can result if you use too high a dose to start. Slowly work up the dose to a manageable one over a period of weeks. (Get some empty capsules and measure out doses.) We can't stress enough the importance of going slowly.
*If you are experiencing acute Lyme Disease, you may want to omit Lactoferrin, since it is derived from milk (some dried dairy products have been shown to culture and grow Lyme bacteria.
5. cis-2-decenoic acid, contained in Royal Jelly or other sources (acts as a dispersant to dissolve protein, nucleic acids, polysaccharides.) Be sure you take a high quality product, as mold has been detected in some products sold on the internet.
6. Bile stimulants, resins, charcoal (assist to release and bind neurotoxins that find their way into the biliary tree and GI tract after biofilm breakdown and reduces their massive re-uptake and recirculation back through the body).
7. Berberine (natural solvent that blocks the ability of biofilms to stick to epithelial tissue and fibronectin in the body, interferes with biofilm formation, inhibits metabolism of bacteria). Berberine can create an upset stomach in some people.
8. Curcumin / Turmeric - at higher levels or concentration
(supports liver, breaks down mineralizations, assists in musculoskeletal pain support, enhances immunity). Use curcumin products that are made to be "bioavailable" (able to be dispersed in water) because turmeric and curcumin are fat soluable, not water soluable. Try CuraPro
(natural solvent that at the correct dose interferes with the adhesion of biofilms to surfaces; makes cell membranes more permeable to nutrients.) Build your dose of MSM slowly, as MSM may mobilize metals that needing binding. With higher doses of MSM, be sure to use binders.
10. Herbs with Detergent Action
(some herbs have a detergent action to disrupt the outer cell membrane of the spirochete and possibly the biofilm.) Items like Golden Seal (berberine is derived from goldenseal, oregon grape, and other sources)
, Grapefruit Seed Extract*,
balmony, black currant, soapwort, and walnut have a detergent-like action. Other natural detergent chemicals found in plants include: PALMITIC-ACID, PALMITOLEIC-ACID, RICINOLEIC-ACID
(*Commercially made Grapefruit Seed Extracts have been the subject of controversy due to reports that they may contain chemical preservatives and chemicals like benzethonium chloride, benzalkonium chloride, triclosan, and various parabens. Be sure that your GSE is safe if you are taking that product or take a different broad spectrum anti-microbial.)
Our protocols don't include GSE
, and you should know that liquid GSE tastes very bitter and detergent like, making it very unpleasant and caustic to swallow, unless the product is encapsulated.)
11. Essential Plant Oils (
chemicals in many volatile oils disrupt the biofilm, inhibit the "quorum sensing
" ability of the colony, and turn off the biofilm's pump system.) EPOs are also helpful in degrading biofilm. This is why Biocidin Advanced Formula*
is at the foundation of our early protocols, because it includes essential plant oils, but also broad spectrum antimicrobials. Other Essential oils that help with biofilm include Piper nigrum, Rosmarinus officinalis, Syzygium aromaticum l., Origanum compactum benth., Eucalyptus globules, Citrus reticulata blanco var
tangerina, Boswellia carterii, and Thymus vulgaris.
*Research Study - Biocidin and Biofilm
- from Binghamton
University researcher Claudia Marques, Ph. D., and the results are phenomenal. Determines Biocidin® is effective against biofilms of Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Candida albicans, Klebsiella pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus. The study shows 90% - 99% eradication of biofims in 24 hours. Download a copy of the report
written by Dr. Marques.
12. Stevia Liquid
(opens up the water channels within the biofilm matrix - these channels let in nutrition and let out waste.) Per Eva Sapi - At full dose, use 7 drops of Stevia in a glass of water (on empty stomach). Start the dose with one drop and work it up very slowly to gauge Herx. Stevia tricks the colony to open up the channels for nutrition - when channels are open, Antibiotics and antimicrobials can be effective inside the biofilm. Older biofilm is dense with a hard shell of iron, magnesium, and calcium. Medications shown to penetrate denser biofilm include tindazol, flagyl and doxy. Eva Sapi's talk on biofilm can be found on www..norvect.no in 2014.
2015 Sapi Study on Stevia and biofilm - Note - the "Stevia A" product is said to be Nutramedix brand. http://www.akademiai.com/doi/pdf/10.1556/1886.201...
13. Haritaki (Terminalia Chebula) (inhibits biofilm-forming pathogens and their secretions) Start with a low dose and when symptoms subside, increase the dose. Haritaki is available in single caps and is a component in Triphala. http://ayurhelp.com/articles/terminalia-chebula-h...
14. Liposomal antimicrobials -
Phospholipids combined with antimicrobials - the lipid transports the antimicrobial deep into the tissue. Liposomal EDTA (available through your doctor) will remove mineral matrix in the biofilm. Additional items:
-NAC ( N-acetylcysteine )-Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
is said to be beneficial in biofilm treatment.-BCM-95
(super potent form of curcumin) -Neem
(harvested outside of the Fukushima nuclear accident radius)
The use of Xylitol in biofilm protocols - Be careful with oral Xylitol and start the dose very low, as it can cause considerable upset and painful bloating in the stomach and GI tract. Use binders, antimicrobials, and other essential items if you try it. (Topical Xylitol has been proven to be effective in preventing skin wound biofilm, especially in diabetic skin conditions.)
TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE http://www.acimconnect.com/Portals/0/Events/Dallas...
Biofilm Penetrating Herbs:
Click here for Greg's Lee's take on what happens when you take biofilm products and how to help with Chinese herbs: http://goodbyelyme.com/free_articles/biofilm
- Terminalia Chebula (hezi)
- Berberine extracts from Coptidis Rhizome (huang lian)
- Cimmcifuga (sheng ma)
- Cinnamon twigs (gui zhi)
- Forsythia (lian qiao)
- Gentiana (long dan cao)
- Granatum rind
- Honeysuckle flower (jin yin hua)
- Magnolia bark (hu po)
- Mint (bo he) kills bacteria under oral biofilms
- Mume fruit (wu mei)
- Phellodendron (huang bai)
- Rhubarb (da huang)
- Viola (zi hua di ding)
- Earthworm (di long)
- Angelica Root, Angelica Sinensis, Chinese name: Dang Gui; White Peony Root, Paeonia lactiflora Chinese name: Bai Shao; Tree Peony, Paeonia suffruticosa Chinese name: Mu Dan Pi - These herbs interrupt the bacteria's nitric oxide pathway and disrupt how bacteria form biofilm.