PART A - Basic Components in Biofilm Protocols
See Part B for How to Take Biofilm Products
Click on the Biofilm Products category to order items to degrade and handle biofilms.
Our sample Lyme Disease protocols integrate biofilm protocol items.
Here is a list of items that can be used to address pathogenic biofilm:
1. Systemic (proteolytic and mucolytic) enzymes (degrade sugars, proteins, and mucus-like slime in biofilm). Besides being listed in the protocol charts, more of these enzymes are found in the "Products to Degrade Biofilms" or the "Proteolytic Enzymes" categories. Systemic enzymes enter the circulatory systems and GI tract.
2. Fulvic acid (addresses minerals and metals in biofilm). We like Supreme Fulvic (link found on the Home Page.)
3. Disodium EDTA (chelates minerals in biofilm and calcium shells from nanoparticles). The only EDTA we use is combined in a controlled dose in the products like Interfase Plus. We don't supply high dose single EDTA products, because at high doses it can be dangerous to mobilize a toxic metal load and it can overwhelm you as a result of its incorrect use. Be careful with your use of this, even via a doctor, and always use binders with it.*
4. Lactoferrin (binds to iron, depriving biofilm matrix of this essential mineral). Lactoferrin is often used in biofilm protocols without Lyme Disease* present. Use 100% Lactoferrin (meaning the single supplement). Practitioners suggest buying the 250 mg. capsules, using brands like Symbiotics, Jarrow, or another single high quality lactoferrin supplement.)
START THE DOSE AT 125 MG OR LESS, as severe Herx. can result if you use too high a dose to start. Slowly work up the dose to a manageable one over a period of weeks. (Get some empty capsules and measure out doses.) We can't stress enough the importance of going slowly.
*If you are experiencing acute Lyme Disease, you may want to omit Lactoferrin, since it is derived from milk (some dried dairy products may contain Lyme bacteria that has been shown to grow when cultured).
5. cis-2-decenoic acid, contained in Royal Jelly or other sources (acts as a dispersant to dissolve protein, nucleic acids, polysaccharides.) Be sure you take a high quality product, as mold has been detected in some products sold on the internet.
6. Targeted and broad spectrum antimicrobials that cross the blood/brain barrier (address pathogens that reside in biofilm).
Bile stimulants, resins, charcoal (assist to release and bind neurotoxins that find their way into the biliary tree and GI tract after biofilm breakdown and reduces their massive re-uptake and recirculation back through the body).
8. Buffers and Alkaline pH products, like buffered Vitamin C (buffers stabilize the pH and neutralize the neurotoxic acid load that results from the die off of pathogens and the disease state. Alkaline pH products and foods create a more alkaline interior milieu during healing protocols).
9. Berberine (natural solvent that blocks the ability of biofilms to stick to epithelial tissue and fibronectin in the body, interferes with biofilm formation, inhibits metabolism of bacteria).
10. Curcumin / Turmeric - at higher levels or concentration (supports liver, breaks down mineralizations, assists in musculoskeletal pain support, enhances immunity). Use curcumin products that are made to be "bioavailable" (able to be dispersed in water) because turmeric and curcumin are fat soluable, not water soluable. Try CuraPro and Theracurmin.
11. Cell Permeability items (allows for the absorption of fat-soluble antimicrobials and other supplements, maintains integrity of cell membranes - like EFAs, MSM, phospholipids, etc.). MSM, for instance, enhances the cell wall's ability to absorb nutrients, but also appears to inhibit the "stickiness" of pathogens to surfaces. ("Fat soluble" means that the product needs fat to be able to be absorbed by the body. Some items easily absorb through water, but others need fats.)
Note: Lipids are part of biofilms - it is still to be proven if dietary lipids or essential fatty acids are recruited to be a part of the biofilm or if they are nutrients for it. (Lipids include dietary fats, like fats in meats and cheese, etc., along with essential fatty acids). Some doctors feel that lipids feed the pathogens and biofilm, while others disagree and recommend liposomal (made with fats) drinks and supplements, along with coconut oil, fish oils, etc.
Our protocols include some essential fatty acids. If you are concerned about this, take MSM or another item instead to increase cellular permeability of fat soluble nutrients.
12. Toxin Binders (bind to neurotoxins and metals to reduce their recirculation).
13. Fiber (sweeps the colon to absorb and bind toxins, inorganic materials, and metals and assist in elimination; supports colonization of healthy microflora in the gut).
14. MSM (natural solvent that at the correct dose interferes with the adhesion of biofilms to surfaces; makes cell membranes more permeable to nutrients.) Build your dose of MSM slowly, as MSM may mobilize metals that needing binding. With higher doses of MSM, be sure to use binders.
15. Herbs with Detergent Action
(some herbs have a detergent action to disrupt the outer cell membrane of the spirochete and possibly the biofilm.) Items like Golden Seal (berberine is derived from goldenseal, oregon grape, and other sources)
, Grapefruit Seed Extract*,
balmony, black currant, soapwort, and walnut have a detergent-like action. Other natural detergent chemicals found in plants include: PALMITIC-ACID, PALMITOLEIC-ACID, RICINOLEIC-ACID
(*Commercially made Grapefruit Seed Extracts have been the subject of controversy due to reports that they may contain chemical preservatives and chemicals like benzethonium chloride, benzalkonium chloride, triclosan, and various parabens. Be sure that your GSE is safe if you are taking that product or take a different broad spectrum anti-microbial.)
Our protocols don't include GSE
, and you should know that liquid GSE tastes very bitter and detergent like, making it very unpleasant and caustic to swallow, unless the product is encapsulated.)
16. Essential Plant Oils (
chemicals in many volatile oils disrupt the biofilm, inhibit the "quorum sensing
" ability of the colony, and turn off the biofilm's pump system.) EPOs are also helpful in degrading biofilm. This is why Biocidin Advanced Formula*
is at the foundation of our early protocols, because it includes essential plant oils, but also broad spectrum antimicrobials. Other Essential oils that help with biofilm include Piper nigrum, Rosmarinus officinalis, Syzygium aromaticum l., Origanum compactum benth., Eucalyptus globules, Citrus reticulata blanco var
tangerina, Boswellia carterii, and Thymus vulgaris.
*Research Study - Biocidin and Biofilm
- from Binghamton
University researcher Claudia Marques, Ph. D., and the results are phenomenal. Determines Biocidin® is effective against biofilms of Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Candida albicans, Klebsiella pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus. The study shows 90% - 99% eradication of biofims in 24 hours. Download a copy of the report
written by Dr. Marques.
17. Stevia Liquid
(opens up the water channels within the biofilm matrix - these channels let in nutrition and let out waste.) Per Eva Sapi - At full dose, use 7 drops of Stevia in a glass of water (on empty stomach). Start the dose with one drop and work it up very slowly to gauge Herx. Stevia tricks the colony to open up the channels for nutrition - when channels are open, Antibiotics and antimicrobials can be effective inside the biofilm. Older biofilm is dense with a hard shell of iron, magnesium, and calcium. Medications shown to penetrate denser biofilm include tindazol, flagyl and doxy. Eva Sapi's talk on biofilm can be found on www..norvect.no in 2014.
18. Haritaki (Terminalia Chebula) (inhibits biofilm-forming pathogens and their secretions) Start with a low dose and when symptoms subside, increase the dose. Haritaki is available in single caps and is a component in Triphala. http://ayurhelp.com/articles/terminalia-chebula-h...
19. Liposomal antimicrobials - Phospholipids combined with antimicrobials - the lipid transports the antimicrobial deep into the tissue. Liposomal EDTA (available through your doctor) will remove mineral matrix in the biofilm.
20. NAC ( N-acetylcysteine )
Items said to assist include:
21. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is said to be beneficial in biofilm treatment.
22. BCM-95 (super potent form of curcumin)
24. Smilax Officinalis
25. Carbonized Bamboo (harvested outside of the Fukushima nuclear accident radius)
*Special note: If you are using metal "mobilizer" products that have been recommended by your doctor, you must be certain to bind these mobilized metals, because you can create damage by recirculating released metals.
The use of Xylitol in biofilm protocols - Be careful with oral Xylitol and start the dose very low, as it can cause considerable upset and painful bloating in the stomach and GI tract. Use binders, antimicrobials, and other essential items if you try it. (Topical Xylitol has been proven to be effective in preventing skin wound biofilm, especially in diabetic skin conditions.)
TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE http://www.acimconnect.com/Portals/0/Events/Dallas...
Biofilm Penetrating Herbs:
- Terminalia Chebula (hezi)
- Berberine extracts from CoptidisRhizome (huang lian)
- Cimmcifuga (sheng ma)
- Cinnamon twigs (gui zhi)
- Forsythia (lian qiao)
- Gentiana (long dan cao)
- Granatum rind
- Honeysuckle flower (jin yin hua)
- Magnolia bark (hu po)
- Mint (bo he) kills bacteria under oral biofilms
- Mume fruit (wu mei)
- Phellodendron (huang bai)
- Rhubarb (da huang)
- Viola (zi hua di ding)
- Earthworm (di long
1. Herxheimer Support products are recommended if you experience uncomfortable symptoms of die off. Pathogens in the blood, like free floating planktonic cells, will cause more acute, immediate Herx. response, while biofilm-related Herx. may start 5-10 days later (as you degrade more of the biofilm with enzymes).
2. Diet rich in alkaline foods and supplements (prevents an overly acidic milieu, including Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, Malic Acid, Buffered C, Alfalfa, green drinks, etc.). When the biofilm is first being addressed, the milieu is acid, and more conducive to eliminating pathogenic biofilm.
3. Anti-Inflammatory items (mitigates the damage to tissues, lowers cytokine storm and Herx. reaction).
4. Immune Support items (modulates immune response and encourage the activity of NK cells).
5. Probiotics / Prebiotics and specialized anti-biofilm supplements targeted at gut biofilm, such as Syntol.
If you have developed IBS, this points to possible pathogenic biofilm communities in the small intestine.
Consider supplementing with probiotics in the
Bacillus family, as these probiotics have been shown to be effective in helping to address Colitis and IBS (see TruFlora product).
Adjust your diet. Reduce processed carbs, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and too much sugar in the diet
, even Stevia, as glucose (and mannose) appear to be nutrients for spirochetes as well as biofilm
. If you have significant biofilm problems, expect to adhere to an antibiofilm diet for a number of years.
SEE PART B - HOW TO TAKE PRODUCTS: